Sunday, November 1, 2020

Police use pepper spray to break up a North Carolina march to a polling place


https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/us/north-carolina-police-pepper-spray-polls/index.html 

 Election Day march planned in North Carolina after police break up Saturday  rally with pepper spray - MarketWatch

On Saturday, October 31, a march took place in Graham, North Carolina to honor Black Americans like George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, among others, who were victims of police brutality, and whose deaths fueled the recent Black Lives Matter movement for racial justice and equality. This scheduled rally intended to make a stop at the courthouse during their march and then proceed to a polling place. 

Though, the march was broken up when Graham police released vaporized pepper spray at the ground in attempts to disperse the crowd. It’s said that they started spraying after the people had stopped, taking a moment of silence to acknowledge the eight minutes and forty-six seconds that a Minneapolis police officer had his knee on George Floyd’s neck. When the marchers didn’t clear the road the police took actions to disperse them. They claim that they asked the marchers to move several times and warned of the spray, but when they didn't agree they deployed the chemical. Commotion ensued and at least 8 arrests were made on various charges. The Graham police say that the marcher’s actions had violated the rules and permits of the rally and became unlawful and violent, but others say arrests were made before the protest even began. 

Some democratic leaders see this event as voter suppression and police brutality. The marchers were exercising their first amendment rights and it was an organized and peaceful march. They think the police dispersed the crowd to prevent them from getting to the polls, bringing up concerns on the apparent issue of voter suppression. Further investigations are being done to determine if the Graham police force’s actions were appropriate.

I think that the police actions were uncalled for and showed an excessive use of force. The march was peaceful, and it was the police’s actions that caused chaos and violence. The marchers were acting for a cause and the police responded to the slightest show of violation with unneeded disruptive measures. Though, I’m not sure if this was necessarily voter suppression. It doesn't seem like the main motive was to prevent the people from getting to the polls. I do think, though, that it brings to light other instances of attempts to prevent voters from submitting their ballots, and brings up the issue of voter suppression, which I believe is very relevant and present in the current election. 


Questions:

  1. Do you think the police’s actions were appropriate in the conditions of the event and the march?

  2. What do you think should be done to address the issues of voter suppression and police brutality?

  3. How has the Black Lives Matter movement affected the current election and the nature of current politics?

11 comments:

  1. In my opinion the police actions were not appropriate because these people were peaceful marchers who were marching for the injustices that have occurred in our country since the beginning of the year 2020. Although pepper spray is better than an unnecessary gun fire or rubber bullets, the fact that they used pepper to break up a peaceful protest seems unjust and only gives people in our country to protest. Now on terms of voting suppression its seems far stretched for me as the police intention was to deescalate the protest so that no fights breakout. On the other hand however in the case for police brutality I can not give the benefit of the doubt to the Graham police department as they used unnecessary force to break up a protest that for what the source says was peaceful. The Black Lives Matter movement has affected the nature of current politics because it has brought light to a huge issue in America today which is police brutality and the mistreatment to African American people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with your point that at least they didn't use gunfire to disperse the crowd, which would definitely have been more violent and possibly deadly. Though the pepper spray was still a show of police force that was probably unneeded. To add onto your point on the effects that the BLM movement has had on politics, I think that these issues that they have raised just has people considering whether basic human and civil rights are being protected or violated. This relates to other issues in today's politics. these issues have been main debates in this election as all candidates have different views and courses of action. For many taking into consideration the preservation of their rights will really affect what and who they vote for.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Troy that the police's actions definitely weren't appropriate. The right to protest is a basic right that needs to be protected in a democracy--this year more than ever, we have realized the power of protests in the face of injustices like voter suppression and systemic racism, which often go hand in hand. To address the issues of voter suppression and police brutality, I think that we need to pass legislation protecting voter rights and limiting the power of the police. Also, people should keep protesting and encouraging others to vote, just like in North Carolina. We need to use the power of our vote, whether it's for state propositions or the president, to fight against racism and bigotry. Lastly, I agree that BLM has definitely raised awareness of police brutality and racism, which have been problems in America for much too long without enough being done to address them. Today, politics is more focused on racial injustice and the ways in which it is still present in American politics (like voter suppression targeting POC).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ella and Troy that their actions weren't appropriate. Expanding on Ella's idea, right to assembly is states in the Constitution so this is an interference of basic human rights. To address the issues of voter suppression and police brutality, we need a commander in chief that will ensure that someone's right to vote is not tampered with. The only way to achieve this is to make sure that the American people vote for the candidate that promises this. I think the Black Lives Matter marches have definitely shown even more of a divide in society. It is clear who stands where and which politicians are morally corrupt people who do not even support human lives. Again, a reason to go vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The police actions were not appropriate during this event, and are not appropriate at any peaceful protest. Voter suppression can be prevented with widespread, easy access to voting. People need to understand that it is their RIGHT to vote and that their voice matters. In order to address police brutality and create some sort of reform, I think police unions and protection needs to stop being so strong. It horrifies me that even when police do things that are clearly racist and wrong, they still get to walk away without facing any major consequence. They’re supposed to enforce the law, and yet many act as if they’re above it. Like Troy, Ella, and Diya said before, the BLM movement has definitely raised awareness about America’s systematic racism towards BIPOC, as well as motivating people to educate themselves on issues in society that are not being properly addressed. Many voters (who actually recognize racism in America) are expecting the next president to fight for police reform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely agree with your point about the lack of severe consequences for police who are involved in these crimes and events of police brutality and racism. I would also add that a way to prevent the brutality and discrimination in the first place is to implement better police training programs. There is very little training and qualification needs for the police force. If they are better trained on how to handle these situations which can often require more advanced social and psychological skills. Police are the first team called in to handle these situations, but have the least training out of all first responders. I want to emphasize your point on how the BLM movement has led people to educate themselves about certain issues in society. I would say education is one of the most important parts of voting and learning about each policy and how it affects everyone is really important in deciding which way to vote.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everyone's comments about the police officers' actions being unnecessary and inappropriate, especially considering that the march was peaceful. Protesting is a fundamental right that is protected by the first amendment, and that needs to be respected. I think this event also reveals the hypocrisy surrounding how different groups of protesters are treated. Black Lives Matter protesters were pepper sprayed, while people carrying guns and protesting having to wear a mask during the pandemic were not. The Black Lives Matter movement has definitely affected the current election; politics are becoming more about social issues and who is going to do something to combat things like police brutality and voter suppression, both of which disproportionately affect people of color. Something that can be done about voter suppression is changing the laws that exist in some states that restrict felons from voting, as well as making polls easily accessible to citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a first amendment right to protesting or demonstrating in a PEACEFUL manner. These people were peaceful but with the reputation of how certain marches turned out, police were bound to arrive. I am not justifying anyone's actions, but these protestors did have the right to march and the police had no right in intervening. Current politics are centered around black lives matter and a lot of other current event movements that are going on. In my opinion, it can be a liberal movement to garner change in our unjust society but it can also portray someone's opinions on a party as racist when they simply agree with policy from that side. It is important to denote that simply because someone is supporting a leader or associating themselves in a formal political party doesn't mean they are racist unless it is a hate group or blatantly obvious. What these police did were wrong and people have to stay educated before taking a stance, as it is a volatile issue in society.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Evan that demonstration in peace is a given right, and nothing can take that right away. I understand that protests can get messy and chaotic sometimes, but I think the actions the police took were inappropriate. I think police should only use weapons and tools for self-defense only, using it to deter others shouldn't be the purpose of those tools. I think that Black Lives Matter played a role in the current election. I think the blame and responsibility of civil disorder automatically go to the current president, even maybe when it shouldn't or the president didn't have much control over it; I also saw Biden and Harris appeal to many people by promising to take action against systemic racism. I think Trump has not been as appealing on this issue and allowed Biden and Harris to pull many votes from this movement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that some protests might indeed get out of hand, but this particular protest sounds as if everyone was peaceful until the police came, in which case, the police did not do their job correctly. Pepper spray might be a relatively better way to break up of protest compared to other methods, but that doesn't mean it should be used. I agree with Evan, in that the police were bound to show up just in case it got violent, but the police should not be the ones starting the violence. I honestly don't really understand how voter suppression plays into this incident, but if the argument came from Trump's stance on police brutality, the one to blame should not be the protestors. I also agree with Zeke in that Biden was able to pull votes from BLM supporters, since Trump has shown that he would rather oppress the protestors than address and try to solve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is closed; no more comments will be graded.

    ReplyDelete