The COVID-19 pandemic has taken its toll on communities across the globe. With people being socially isolated, stressed, lonely, and financially insecure, people's pre-existing mental health conditions are worsening. A lack of human connection is also leading to depression and suicide. In Gainsborough, England, a mental health charity called the Bearded Fishermen is stepping up for their community. Volunteers work with emergency responders to monitor known suicide hot spots in the area through their "Night Watch" suicide prevention initiative, as well as respond to mental health calls at residents' homes. It's uplifting to see people actively acknowledging and helping those who are struggling with mental health issues. I think it's paramount for there to be more consistent awareness about mental health and suicide prevention during this pandemic because recognizing that there are resources to help lets people understand that suicide is not inevitable. In communities, schools play a big role, even while we're learning virtually. Having kind, helpful counselors and teachers, as well as easy access to helpful resources and support online, can make a huge difference in a person's outlook on life. I believe the more frequently mental health and suicide is talked about, the less stigma there is about using those resources to ask for help.
What's your reaction to this article?
Do you think there needs to be more consistent awareness about mental health and suicide prevention during this pandemic?
How do you think communities in the United States can provide socially distanced outreach and support to those struggling with their mental health?

I honestly think that this is a great idea, and it is a major thing that should be worked out here in the States. While Covid is certainly a major threat to public health, the isolation caused by the major lock-downs throughout the Western World would lead to major issues further down the road. These people who are trying and working to try and keep up spirits and ensuring that people that people are feeling safe and at least somewhat happy in these times is paramount. I would love to have a similar organization/group here in the states. In regards to the awareness, I do think that a much, much greater focus should be put on the mental health effects that these lockdowns generate, and how they can be worked-around.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that ignoring the effects of isolation could lead to other problems later. A lot of times, people try to ignore their internal struggles and stress to keep pushing forward, but that stress can add up to be a big weight on people's shoulders. I also thought that having a similar organization that specifically did Night Watches would be awesome. I also thought that if the effects of the pandemic on mental heath was mentioned more often on the news, it could generate more awareness.
DeleteWhen I read the article it made me happy to think that even though many people are suffering and focus on the negative parts of the pandemic, there are people who are trying to do good. Now that I think about it I'm realizing how awareness for mental health should definitely be more prioritized since it's a lot harder to make connections. One way communities could provide resources and outreach is by following their footsteps and creating similar organizations.
ReplyDeleteThe article made me really happy too. I definitely agree that connections are harder to make...this also made me think about the elderly, some of whom don't have many people to talk to virtually while they are in isolation. I like your idea of creating similar organizations. I remember at the start of the pandemic in Oregon, our leadership class was trying to do some outreach to the elderly in the community through some nursing homes, where we could "adopt" an elderly person and have weekly calls with them so they didn't feel so alone.
DeleteAlthough I was not explicitly aware of increasing suicide rates until now, I have definitely noticed an overall drop in people's mental health over the course of this pandemic. I think it's really uplifting to see people truly acknowledging these issues instead of ignoring them because they're too scary to approach. I agree that schools should work to ensure and maintain students' mental health, along with employers being aware of their employees' status as well. However, I do believe that these issues are quite apparent even when a life-threatening virus is making us stay inside; many people face anxiety and depression no matter what is going on. That being said, I think more can be done overall to boost mental health in America.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Edan that it's heartwarming to see people during the pandemic who have focused on the good. While there is so much out there to be ungrateful for, people put in their own time voluntarily to make sure that people in their community are doing well during such an unprecedented time. It's definitely been rough during this pandemic, having to stay home and isolate from others. I can only imagine how people who live alone are feeling. It's definitely important to place a big emphasis on mental health, as it is a very real issue that has only gotten worse due to lack of socialization.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is important to focus on mental health during this time because we are all so isolated and are experiencing such a dramatic change in our normal. I think that it is good to see people helping other people and creating a strong sense of community and family. I think that it is hard for schools to check up on students right now because the process heavily relies on students going to the schools for help. Aragon does have good resources, but students might be reluctant to get the help that they need because they are denying the problem. People should not be afraid to ask for help, which is easier said than done, but I think that this program does do a good job of providing help.
ReplyDeleteThat's nice; unfortunate it's in one city and not widespread. There are suicidal "epidemics" all across the world right now.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, awareness won't do too much. It's easy to be aware of what's going wrong; 40% of American adults in June (outdated statistic, I know) reported struggling with mental health or substance use (CDC). Awareness doesn't help any of those people, reopening our societies does.
Socially distanced outreach is ineffective. Humans are biologically social creatures; we require physical touch for oxytocin, we form tight-knit communities and disrupting those for months is obviously going to have consequences.
The best thing to do, in my opinion, to balance the effects of the pandemic and mental health, is encourage the formation of "closed friend groups;" groups of perhaps no more than three or four that could stay in touch in person, while being socially distanced from other groups.
CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6932a1.htm
I definitely agree that what the Bearded Fisherman charity group is doing is really important and it makes me happy to know that people are still looking after each other. Obviously, in the pandemic, social connection has been extremely difficult for many and mental health is dropping. I think it's important to not only have organizations like the Bearded Fisherman charity group be more widespread, but for other individuals to continuously check in on those they know. A little text or phone call can go a long way sometimes. I also agree with others that awareness is a good first step to solving the mental health crisis that's going on in the world right now. However, we not only have to promote more awareness of the problems going on, but also the solutions. Making sure that people know about the resources that surround them and shining a positive light on these resources is another good step.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a really cool initiative and it's important that people are taking about mental health and looking for ways to address it. I do think that there needs to be more consistent awareness for mental health during the pandemic. Fortunately for many people, they have used COVID restrictions to stay at home and spend more time with their families, but there are many out there who are alone and struggling in isolation, and many people don't realize they are struggling. With total loss of human connection, these time can be extremely hard to get through. Though it wouldn't be through physical connection, communities could do virtual meetings for people to go to and interact. Communities can host events for people to do some fun activities or hold meetings where people with similar interests can go to interact and meet new people.
ReplyDeleteThis post is closed.
ReplyDelete