It's finally here, Britain is beginning to prepare the release of the first doses of a COVID-19 vaccination. It's been confirmed that England had already received their allocation of the vaccine and it is currently in the process of being distributed. The vaccine is known as the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and UK health officials expect to have up to four million doses of it. The Pfizer/BioNTech is said to offer up to 95 percent protection against COVID-19 and by the end of December it will be available to anyone. As of right now, over 40 million doses of the vaccine has been purchased by the government which is enough to vaccinate 20 million people in total which is a third of the entire United Kingdom population. Benefits will come with the UK being the first to lay hands on the vaccine because more deaths from COVID have been recorded in the UK than anywhere else in Europe. The Pfizer vaccine doses are stored in freezers at minus 70 degrees celsius. Only specific freezers are capable of such temperatures. After taken out of the freezer, the MHRA authorization requires the doses to be refrigerated and used within five days. The first doses arrived in the UK on Thursday night. The UK Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation suggest that the vaccine should be given to older patients and staff first. People over 80 years old would take it first because they are more at risk at death to the virus rather than younger humans. But, according to the head of UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) June Raine tells the British Broadcasting Corporation "You might have a mild symptom but it will probably disappear in a day or two, and nothing at all of a serious nature." June Raine makes it clear that symptoms may occur but it won't be too severe or dangerous. The MHRA explains that one in ten recipients may receive pain at the injection site, headache, muscle pain, chills, joint pain and possibly a fever.
Personally, I believe that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is a good idea. Despite the symptoms, the vaccine is apparently 95 percent protective against COVID-19 and they have produced millions of doses already. Even then, the symptoms aren't life threatening at all. One in ten people may receive symptoms which isn't a risky odd but nonetheless, theres no danger to the patient. The Pfizer does have its challenges, they are meant to be kept in 70 degree celsius cooling areas. The containers that they are kept in are special and not many hospitals have access to them. It's definitely a challenge but with a lot of cooperation and communication, it could work and end up successful. We also need to keep in mind that the longer we wait for a perfect virus to come out, the more time we give for the COVID-19 death counter to go up. Therefore, I believe the Pfizer could help facilitate all problems we have right now.
Questions:
1) What are your thoughts on the Pfizer?
2) Are the odds of the Pfizer symptoms too risky?
3) Do you agree that staff and older individuals deserve first dibs on the vaccine?

First of all, I am very, very impressed by the numbers of Pfizer. 95% effectiveness in my opinion is just amazing. Sure there is still that 5% chance of it being ineffective and when you apply 5% to millions of people it is still a significant number, but the 95% the vaccine offers is monumental to me. I agree with you that the symptoms shouldn't be considered risky since it does not put life in danger, just periodic uncomforted. A lot of other drugs and treatments have much more severe symptoms and I think these symptoms are not very significant considering the benefits it may provide. I do agree that staff and older individuals should receive the vaccine first, but I would prioritize more on the risk of getting covid-19 than the age. To my understanding vaccines are used to prevent and not cure, thus those that are not infected but have the greatest risk like medical staff should receive it first.
ReplyDeleteI agree with ur statement that 95 percent effectiveness is spectacular considering that amount of difficulty that goes into finding a vaccine. Towards the middle you talked about how five percent to millions of people is still a significant number. But we must keep in mind that people are willing to take that 95 percent chance for the prevention. Like said in my opinion paragraph, the longer we wait for the 100 percent effective vaccine to come out, the more we give time for that COVID death counter to increase. I agree with everything said.
DeleteI agree with Zeke's surprise at the effectiveness of the vaccine, 95% is extremely high especially considering the short amount of time it was developed in. I think that since the symptoms aren't life threatening or incapacitating in addition to the fact that one is unlikely to be affected, make the vaccine very safe. I strongly agree that staff should be the first to receive the vaccine not only because they're the most likely to come in contact with the virus, but also because of the bravery and selflessness they demonstrated throughout the pandemic. Since older people are more likely to have more severe reactions when exposed to Covid-19, it makes sense to give it to them first as well unless there are others who are more at risk or likely to get the virus.
ReplyDeleteAs mentioned it is really impressive that Pfizer has been able to create a vaccine that resulted in data supporting 95% efficacy, especially when looking at the vaccine for the flu (influenza) which often is between 40-60% effective. Even with other vaccines there are chances for people to experience certain symptoms, and everyone will react differently to this one as well. With the symptoms appearing to be more on the mild side and non life-threatening, this should not be too major of a concern when looking into the vaccine. I agree with Edan in that staff and front-line workers should be the first to revive the vaccines since they truly are at the highest risk of exposure and contraction, as they come in contact with many people on a day to day basis. I definitely also believe that it should be given to more elderly people because of increased risk of severe symptoms and complications, maybe just after the front-line workers have been vaccinated or at the same time if possible.
ReplyDeleteI agree with most of the previous comments that a 95% effectiveness is impressive, especially with a vaccine that has been developed in less than a year. I think the benefits of the vaccine definitely outweigh the cons. Though there may be some side effects to the vaccine, it will allow us to slowly get back to our normal lives and stop quarantining, which is a big deal. I think that essential workers deserve first dibs on the vaccine, not necessarily the elderly. This is because the elderly can just keep going about what they have been doing during this quarantine while that is something essential workers just can't do. They HAVE to go to work and come in contact with people everyday, especially healthcare workers. However, I do agree that after essential workers have gotten their vaccine, the elderly and people with underlying conditions should be the next ones to get it.
ReplyDeleteI one hundred percent agree on ur claim that the pros out weighs the cons. I find your take on the "first dibs" of the Pfizer true because they are the ones working nonstop to put an end to the pandemic. They definitely deserve it first and then the elderly. Yes, elderlys probably don't come into contact with anyone as much as the workers but keep in mind that they are the most vulerable to the virus so they should most likely be first.
DeleteI think that having a vaccine that is around 95% effective against Covid-19 in less than a year is an amazing feat of science. The Pfizer vaccine looks to have very promising result and will definitely help start to return the world back to normal. There is also another vaccine called Moderna that is slightly behind the Pfizer vaccines production time. The Moderna vaccine does have benefits that it does not have to be in severe cold like the Pfizer vaccine does. Both are relatively equally as effective at treating Covid. As the for the Pfizer vaccine symptoms, personally they are worth it to be potentially free from the Corona-Virus. As for the people to get the vaccine first it should be people who are most in danger from the virus and healthcare workers. The Elderly and people with pre-existing conditions are the most susceptible to the virus with the highest death rates. It is essential that healthcare workers would get it at the same time to help them fight the virus head on.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the general consensus that it's a marvel of modern science to have a 95% effective vaccine less than a year after COVID turned into a pandemic. It seems like we've been waiting forever for the vaccine to be here, but it really is amazing to take a step back and fully internalize how fast we got here. As for whether it's risky or not, it frankly doesn't make a difference at this point. Every drug, from Ibuprofren to Marijuana, has its side effects. This vaccine isn't any exception. However, with that in mind, I do see the hesitancy of receiving this vaccination, and also the challenges that come with not only the vaccine itself, but in administering it. Finally, I think it's a common standpoint to typically allow the elderly first not just in "first dibs," but especially with COVID considering they are the demographic most heavily impacted by the disease.
ReplyDeleteI believe that it is very important to allow the elderly and essential workers the vaccine first. These people are much more susceptible to the virus and would benefit the most from it. I think that the vaccine is incredible and I don't think that the side-effects are too risky. With its new approval, and excitement around the vaccine from most citizens, I believe that the side-effects would be considered and changed if they were too serious. I don't think that these side-effects would be nearly as bad as contracting COVID, and even by reducing the effects of the virus we would be helping all people a lot. In regards to the orders of vaccination, I believe that this is a very smart way to make sure all vulnerable people are able to get it, instead of having people with more money "buy" their vaccines first, and it's definitely important for equality of all people.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to see the international cooperation and American entrepreneurship that has carried us here. I think it is too early to celebrate, however.
ReplyDeleteInvention is one thing, distribution is another. We could barely get masks out to people in time in the USA, and Britain in the early stages of the pandemic seemingly just gave up... along with the inevitable fear surrounding new vaccines, fueled by events such as severe allergic reactions (two Britons with severe reactions prompted British officials to warn against the vaccine) and anti-vax hysteria here in the US. It's going to be more difficult to actually use the vaccine than make it.
The symptoms on their own aren't awful considering the circumstances, but see above for my comment on hysteria. I must also clarify that the odds of "one in ten" are not insignificant in a medical context. Your dismissal of 10% of people having side effects, though understandable, is in my opinion wrong.
It seems like common sense to distribute the vaccine according to those most at risk. I already see other nonsensical ideas floating about concerning distribution, and I simply hope that the USA gets a grip on reality and takes a common sense approach to distributing the vaccine.
To add on a little; to get an idea of the scale of 10%, consider that the US's 1.9% case-to-fatality ratio (John Hopkins University) from COVID has resulted in 293k deaths as of 12/11/20. If we were to vaccinate on the same scale that COVID affects people, the consequences would be extremely widespread.
DeletePeople who are of higher risk of death if they contract COVID should be able to receive the vaccine before the common folk. People who are elderly or staff have a much higher chance of getting COVID, and along with that older people have a much higher chance of death from it. Since these people are more likely to pass away they should ultimately be able to get the vaccine first. Along with that, I doubt many people with common sense won't realize that the pros of the vaccine of COVID out way the cons by a significant margin. At a certain point it's almost foolish not to receive it.
ReplyDeleteI think its amazing that a vaccine was able to be rushed out in such a short amount of time considering how relatively short covid-19 has been around. I think for a vaccine its 95% effectiveness is pretty standard and nothing really to write home about. the odds of getting a symptom are therefor pretty standard to any other vaccine and I think its not too bad. Of course for the final question I agree that those who are most likely to die first of the vaccine will probably need it first as that's pretty common sense. 2ndly would be the workers as they have the highest chance of getting the virus although maybe not dying from it.
ReplyDeleteI think that we were really lucky with the fact that the vaccine was able to come out so quickly, Pfizer was able to put out a mostly effective product and will be able to reap the benefits for many years to come. A new vaccine is always risky and especially one as important as COVID the pressure to get something out is huge. We still don't fully understand the long-term effects of the vaccine, if their are any, and the rush for a vaccine makes everything sketchy. Politicians, Americans, and the whole world has been pressuring the FDA to approve the vaccine against the commissioners wishes to keep testing. If I remember correctly there was a "miracle drug" a couple years back that many countries were using but the FDA was hesitant, and it turned out that the drug did a lot of harm long term. The essential workers should get it first then the elderly in my opinion but I can see it both ways.
ReplyDeleteI agree with others that the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine is amazing, especially for being developed in under a year with a virus that has affected individuals on a global scale. I do not believe that the side effects of the Pfizer vaccine are too risky, as they do not seem to be life-threatening, or be detrimental to the health of those who receive the vaccine. In addition, I think that older individuals should be the first to receive the vaccine as they are more at risk, in fact, 95% of reported deaths from COVID-19 are among individuals older than 60. The next round of vaccinations should then be given to staff and essential workers, as they are the ones at the front line in stopping COVID-19.
ReplyDeleteThe Pfizer vaccine is performing incredibly, considering the that it's been developed in under a year in such urgent conditions. The side effects of the Pfizer vaccine are not risky enough to slow distribution, however we must consider that new medicines usually take around seven years to hit the market, so with such a hastily developed medicine there are bound to be some errors. However, those errors may not be too drastic, considering the recent advancements in the biotechnology industry. While essential workers are critical, older individuals should certainly be the first to receive the vaccine, as they are the most at risk from the virus. As Sakshi stated, 95% of reported deaths from COVID-19 are from those older than 60, so most essential workers are not nearly as susceptible to the virus as the elderly. This should be on a case by case basis though, because in some situations essential workers would need the vaccine before the elderly, for example a doctor working in a crowded city hospital full of COVID patients versus a 75 year old living in rural Wyoming, somewhat out of the virus' way.
ReplyDeleteI believe Pfizer is a good step in the right direction for the vaccine on COVID-19. I believe that the sooner the better for the vaccine but we have to make sure the vaccine is safe and doesn't have too many downsides. I personally wouldn't really want to take it till more people took it so that I know that its safe. It kind of came out of nowhere and I don't really fully trust it yet so I need some kind of evidence of it working safely. One in ten people is not great but if it cures people from COIVD-19 it may be worth it. Additionally the symptoms aren't even too bad. Ya because they are in more in danger of dying or facing worst consequences from COVID-19. This is why they should get the vaccine over others like younger people who face less of a risk.
ReplyDeleteHey, a vaccine is a vaccine, despite it's obvious logistical and storages problems it presents, it's still really good to hear. 10% chances of side effects are actually quite high in my opinion. I do wonder if this number is due to the urgency in trying to produce a vaccine. I would only take the vaccine if I were comfortable with the known-side effects within that 10%. As for once again the status of the elders. I think "deserve" isn't the right word. I think that it is sensible to give them the vaccine, but I think the frontline workers should get it first.
ReplyDeleteSimilar to the responses above, I find it extremely impressive that Pfizer’s vaccine has already shown to be 95% effective, especially given the the little time it took to develop. Overall, I do not think the Pfizer symptoms are too risky; for the most part, it sounds like a common cold. In addition, given these symptoms only last a few days and among one in ten people, bringing this vaccine to the public is far more beneficial than harmful. As for who should receive the vaccine first, I think staff and first responders should receive the vaccine first, as they are put under high risk as well as have the responsibility of saving thousands of lives. Without their courage and perseverance, our current position would be far worse. After first responders, the elderly should receive the vaccine. While the older generations are higher risk, they tend to stay home and practice safety protocols already, so it would be more beneficial to allocate vaccines to essential workers first.
ReplyDeleteI am extremely happy and as stated in previous comments, impressed by Pfizer's vaccine given that it is 95%n effective and developed in a relatively short amount of time. The Covid-19 pandemic has done so much harm to the whole world and has affected billions of people. I don't think the symptoms are too serious. Overall, this vaccine has the potential to exterminate and protect everyone from a far deadlier virus, so I think in the end the vaccine, despite the symptoms, do much more good than harm. I think staff/firdt responders should receive the vaccine first because they are going to be exposed to the virus the most. While I do think elderly people are at a higher risk to contract a die from the virus, most elderly people do tend to stay at home more than essential workers, as stated in Lauren's comment above, so they should receive the vaccine after essential workers. Essential workers also have jobs and need to work to not only provide for their families but also serve the community, while elderly people, most of the time, are retired.
ReplyDeleteTo hear that there is a vaccine that is 95% effective makes me very happy. Im happy because this pandemic has caused a lot of stress and has taken opportunities for many people academically, athletically, and those who work. I feel like this vaccine if it works will bring our lives back to normal in that everyone no matter their age can go outside and do what they normally did before this pandemic. I think that the elderly and anyone at risk should receive the vaccine first because of their higher risk off exposure. Then after I believe that anyone working no matter being first responders or not should receive the vaccine next. Then finally the younger people should receive the vaccine so that we could return to school and do are usually social activities.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteAs many have mentioned, I find it extremely reassuring that Pfizer’s vaccine is already 95% effective. While the symptoms may sound to some as too risky, it seems like a fraction of what getting COVID would actually feel like. In addition, given the rarity of these symptoms it seems far more manageable than harmful. In terms of who should receive the vaccine first, definitely high risk medical responders and the elderly should be first in line. I know in other countries they have allowed their elderly to die without even trying to treat them and I find this to be very unethical and the wrong method overall. After allowing so many deaths to already occur, it’s our duty to treat those who need it the most and it’s crucial that we preserve the lives of our citizens.
This post is closed.
ReplyDelete