Saturday, January 23, 2021

Biden Signs 30+ Executive Orders Within The First 3 Days In Office

 

    On January 20, Joe Biden was inaugurated as President of the United States, and he vows to "unite our nation". Within hours of his inauguration, Biden had already signed many executive orders to help with the pandemic, economy, environment and immigration. No president in the United States has ever signed this large amount of orders within such a small time frame. Some of the most notable orders that Biden signed include the increase in federal food assistance as well as the streamline delivery of stimulus checks. Through this executive order, he hopes that it will stabilize the economy, as well as providing food for those who need it. Biden also has proposed to pass another relief plan for $1.9 trillion, but Republicans may not be in favor of it. He says "we need more action, and we need to move fast, we're in a national emergency". Not only did Biden sign bills to help unify our nation, he also reversed some of Trump's actions, such as rejoining the Paris Climate Accord, and removing restrictions on US entry from Muslim countries. By doing so, Biden opens up many new opportunities for the US to reconnect with ally countries as well establish new connections with others.

    Personally, I believe that these new orders will help unify the nation, which would achieve Biden's goal of doing so. Another one of Biden's goals is to reverse more of Trump's damaging actions, such as the withdrawal from WHO, which would have devastating effects on the US without the scientific expertise. During the pandemic, I think it's important that we help one another, and put aside grudges we may have for one another. A recent study found that black and Latino adults were "likely to report that their families did not get enough to eat than white families. Addressing issues like these are a key factor in maintaining democracy.

1.Do you believe that these actions/orders are beneficial in rebuilding the US?

2. What actions/orders do you hope to see get passed by Biden?

3. Do you think that the US will become more unified under the Biden administration?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-stimulus-check-food-stamps-minimum-wage-executive-orders/
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/politics/joe-biden-executive-orders-first-week/index.html

10 comments:

  1. 1. I think that the actions are going to help the US in the long term has some stimulus in order to help people recover is needed in order for the country to start up again.
    2.I would like to see Joe Biden not only combat covid and Undo trump policies but trying pushing his own ideas. If he wants to push and idea of unity in America I think it would be wise not to overturn all of Trumps policies.
    3.This is a bit hard to determine since he just became president recently so its going to be hard to know right away. I would give him another 5 months before I can say he is going to unify America. But his message does seem positive so I hope he does follow through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that these actions Biden is taking will benefit U.S in the long term. However it must be done properly and wisely. I personally want to see Biden push his own ideas instead of targeting covid and trumps policies because if he only focuses on that and removes all of his policies then there is no sense of unity which he is trying to push. Its to early to tell whether or not the U.S will become more unified or more distant because its only his week out of 4 years of his presidency. Unity in America at this time is not threatened or solidified its up to Biden and his choices to make the U.S unified but he has to please all the people and not just a specific group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely believe that these actions are needed to rebuild the US. I think they create unity because they promote equality for POC, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants; help relieve those in poverty; and combat the coronavirus, which are all things that all Americans should agree on (although I know that unfortunately, many don't). Although it seems like Biden undoing so many of Trump's policies is too partisan and divisive, I would argue that this is necessary because Biden is simply trying to help the American people and rebuild the US. Also, out of the 30, only 10 are reversals. These executive orders are first priority because many of Trump's policies, like withdrawing from the WHO and Paris Climate Accord, are actively harming the US and the world. Also, signing executive orders is a quick and easy process compared to passing Biden's own legislation through Congress. I agree with Troy that Biden must please all Americans in order to unify the country, but I am confident that he will work to do that. While Trump has routinely vilified and attacked the left, in his inauguration speech, Biden said "I will be a president for all Americans. I will fight as hard for those who did not support me as for those who did."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that these orders are needed to rebuild the US, as well as connect two opposite beliefs together. Rather than simply trying to please one party, Biden is trying to please all parties, or at least implement some favorable ideas. Although Biden has only been in office for about a week, I can see possible change coming, as he doesn't organize the US such as republicans, democrats, the south and the north, but rather as a whole nation coming together as one. Also, having a stronger nation as a whole will protect us from foreign threats, since the strength within our nation is stronger than the ones outside.

      Delete
  4. I like what Biden's doing since we need some action to accelerate our economic recovery and to help unite the American people. This isn't as bad as the Great Depression but it kind of is a similar situation. FDR was able to help the US economy and people through change. Biden must do the same thing. People are in need right now and some are struggling which demands action to help them. The executive order to provide food for those in need is a very good action for those who will need it. I hope the relief gets passed although I doubt it will happen. There's some cons to it but right now some people and businesses may need it to stay afloat so I think it's necessary. Bipartisanship is very strong right now so it'll be pretty hard to unite everybody as it also seems Trump still has influence. Although this may be the case, I remain hopeful that Biden can help unify and bridge the gap between the two parties. It may be hard but Biden should try at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the comparison with FDR and the Great Depression, it expresses how history can repeat itself, no matter the extent. With the future demanding change, I also hope that the relief bill will be passed in order to help lower income families and POCs. I read an article earlier this week that the GOPs wanted to split up the 1.9 trillion relief bill into chunks, but the Democrats denied it. The bill will also help with distributing the vaccine, as well as reopening schools.

      Delete
  5. I agree with the consensus made so far that Biden looks to be promising for rebuilding America as a nation, a people, and a system. Looking at what Bryan wrote, this week we learned about the Great Depression and the impact of a new leader during really tough times, so President Biden is looking like the bright new hope that FDR was. Getting things underway right as they got into that Oval Office is the kind of alacrity that gets chaotic situations under order. I do think Biden will help unite the country because like FDR's fire side chats, Biden is using social media platforms that will be able to reach many people of all ages, ethnicity and creed. Something that I love that Biden says is that he doesn't see red and blue states, but the united states, and this mindset as well as his respectable experience in this country's government will serve America well and that's hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. It is important to take these actions. Notable to me are rejoining WHO and the Paris Climate Accords. International cooperation is important to solve global problems. The problem of climate change is a large concern, and will require large scale collective action to mitigate. Reversing these actions by Trump signals a change of attitudes toward issues like climate change, which is an important thing and a good step towards rebuilding the US from damage caused by Trump.
    2. I hope for further action taken on climate change and issues of social inequality.
    3. I believe that there is potential for more unification under the Biden administration. Biden's rhetoric emphasizes unity and compromise while Trump's has been more inflammatory and divisive. However, due to increased radicalization which causes a fundamental different understandings of facts, it may be difficult for people to come together.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Biden’s orders will help the country heal, particularly the ones that target COVID. I think that the country is long overdue for some restrictions, even though others might disagree. I feel like the previous administration downplayed the virus at first and continued to do so for a while, which obviously ended up being devastating for our country. I know that there are a lot of people who are opposed to all the rules about masks and social distancing, but I think they’re necessary. Hopefully Biden will be able to unify the country, but it will probably be very difficult. Personally, I think Trump and the previous administration did quite a bit of damage that won’t be quickly undone. Because of the claims that mail-in ballots were fraudulent, many people are convinced that Biden did not rightfully win the election, which was seen during the insurrection at the Capital.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I believe that Biden's executive orders will be beneficial for the US both in the future and now during the pandemic, I don't see the US becoming more unified under his administration. The 2020 election was very messy and the country is very divided at this moment. It seems like almost every issue has become about the parties and it is hard to find a vote in Congress that doesn't split Democrats and Republicans. There is more division between the parties now than ever and I don't see that changing even with Biden as president.

    ReplyDelete