Sunday, January 17, 2021

Strict Security Measures In Place Across The Nation Ahead Of Inauguration Day

Article Link: https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/957149001/strict-security-measures-in-place-across-the-nation-ahead-of-inauguration-day

    

    After the violent storming of the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, law enforcement, as well as the federal government, have implemented strict security measures to avoid a similar attack happening on President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration day. So far, many efforts have been placed to eliminate security breaches. The US Secret Service is the lead agency covering this security plan. Joe Biden has already canceled his rehearsal for the inauguration as well as his Amtrak trip from Wilmington to Washington as a result of these threats. In addition, the FBI has announced that they will be closely monitoring planned protests around all 50 state capitols as well as in Washington DC. The National Guard Bureau has stated that they will deploy 25,000 service members in Washington DC for the event. In addition to this, all 50 state capitols will have National Guard men and women present. Washington DC has put in place travel restrictions citywide as well as street closures and road blockades.
    It is clear that during this political climate, this level of security has never been seen before on any inauguration days previously. I believe personally that these steps being taken will be enough to deter any possible threats. I think it is very important to keep people safe, and by putting in these measures we are doing so. After the horrific events at the capitol, America must heal and I believe that this is a good first step.

2. Do you think that this level of security will be needed on future inauguration days?

1. Do you think that this level of security will eliminate possible threats? If not, what else can be done?




11 comments:

  1. I think that this level of security will help to stop possible threats, but I am still wary after the Capitol attack. I think that the National Guard and Secret Service are doing their best, and I hope that they are closely monitoring all threats and taking them seriously during their preparations. My mind was blown when I saw tons of National Guard troops sleeping on the Capitol floors. I hope that this level of security will not be needed on future inauguration days and that this country will be able to become better; that people will choose to do what’s right and just be a good person, but we can never know. There are so many violent, mindless Trump supporters and white supremacists in the U.S. that I think high security will be needed for awhile--at least until we see a change in the people of the United states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the security being implemented as of now should prove to be more efficient than the ones in place during the attack on the Capitol. I'm not sure how the security will fare against a more orchestrated-attack or something similar if it were to happen but regardless I am pretty confident in the additional measure being taken. I doubt that this level of caution will be required, it's just because of the current tensions and events that have happened that make these precautions necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that this level of security will be needed on future inauguration days, at least I hope not. As long as this behavior of storming the Capitol or similar actions aren't normalized and are addressed for being dangerous and illegal, then I think America will go back to its relatively peacefulness that it was before, and before there wasn't a need for this much security on inauguration days. I think that the high level of security should eliminate possible threats because compared to before this year, January 6, D.C. was very open and felt safe, so now with all of the guards, gates, security, the level of security is tremendous so I don't think that there should be any problems but things have been unpredictable the past year, so it's more of a hope that there won't be any threats tomorrow and after tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with what you said about these safety precautions not having to be implemented on future inauguration days. I think that since the US is in such a set of different circumstances ever seen before other inauguration days it won't be needed. I also liked your point about not to normalize these horrific attacks at the capitol for the future. I think that it is important for the US to rebuild as a country so its citizens can feel safe once again.

      Delete
  4. I don't think that this intense amount of security is needed for future inauguration days, it was only implemented because of capitol riots. I believe that the amount of security used in Obama's inauguration is enough, as the president elect and vice president elect do need space with their families as well. Hopefully, by future inaugurations, the tensions between the two sides will mend, and there won't be so much hatred. As for eliminating possible threats, I think that government buildings need more protection. Obviously, not to the extent where national guard needs to be deployed, but there should be higher gates, steel bars and more protective measures. In the camera footage in the capitol, it could be seen that it was very easy to break in, and that should never be the case, so I do think that security should increase slightly. I wouldn't say that increasing security would completely eliminate threats, but it may deter violence, but people's actions have been sort of unpredictable, so I can't really say for sure. You can't ever eliminate the risk of violence, but you can put heavier protective measures to prevent something worse from happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to say whether or not inagurations in the future will need this type of security. Of course, this is a special circumstance where high amounts of security were needed to enforce the safety of the new president. Hopefully, high security won't be needed, but I do think it's important to realize it is possible similar situations could happen. Certainly I don't wish anything as horrific as the events that happened at the Capital which led to the need for high security, but the possiblity will always be there. I think there should be a high level of caution at any event involving a very important government/political leader, such as the president because anything can happen. Secutiry should be prepared, but I hope high security will not be needed again for such an important day in history like an inaguration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this level of security is sufficient, although I do believe that they can never be too safe. I think that the number of national guards is good as well as all the other measures is beneficial to the safety of the president. I think that it is very important to protect our leaders and that is why such a big deal is being made about this. I don't think that this level of security will be needed in the future, except on special occasions where there is an increased threat. I hope that tensions will decline and it won't be as bad as it has been.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Caitlin and Calissa, I don't think that this level of security is going to be necessary in future inaugurations. With any luck, the violent protests will calm down soon and there won't be nearly as much tension moving forward. However, just because a higher level of security won't be NECESSARY doesn't mean that it's not good to have just in case we see another attack like on the Capitol Building.

    I don't think the higher level of security will eliminate threats per se, but are rather more well equipped to handle the threats if they do arise. Extremists will be extremists and, if they are REALLY passionate about what they're fighting for-- whether or not it's the "right thing"-- they're going to take action no matter what, though I do hope that increased security will discourage the vast majority from taking violent action.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like others have mentioned before, I don't think that this amount of security will be necessary for inaugurations in the future. At least, I really hope it won't be. The past few years have been some of the most politically polarized years the U.S. has seen. Hopefully, the next few years will be years of healing and communication between people in the U.S. Increased security is important, but as a country we need to figure out how to fix the problems that led to violence so that it doesn't happen again. It was extremely difficult to see the attack on the Capitol, but I do think that things will get better. The only way that I can see more security being necessary in future inaugurations is if our country becomes even more politically divided than it already is which I sincerely hope doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how you wrote about how polarizing politics have been in recent years. I think this is really important to recognize, so that political parties can put aside their differences to grow as a country. I also think that yes, while security measures are very important to keep others safe, it won't solve the hatred and violence that others feel. I too hope that this level are security won't be needed in the future and that we don't become more politically divided.

      Delete
  9. I think the level of security used is enough. I have enough confidence in the national guards to protect and prevent threats on inauguration day. As for the future, I don't think this amount of security would be needed. I feel that especially under Trump, politicians are more about winning and beating the other side rather than doing what's best for people; people stopped listening to each other and are more about winning. I think Biden will have a similar agenda compared to Obama and I hope that he will take action to unify all this somehow. This isn't an issue that can be solved so easily but I hope Biden is at least able to create an environment where people can have differences and peacefully coexists with each other.

    ReplyDelete