I do not think that people should be traveling far for Spring Break and they should avoid COVID hotspots, such as Miami, Florida. I understand that people are tired of the pandemic as we just hit the 1 year anniversary, however, people need to continue to be responsible, wear masks, and social distance until vaccines are more widely distributed. I do not think that lifting the state mask mandate helped the situation in Miami, and I believe that Florida should re-establish the state-wide mask mandate. This will not only help officials regulate mask-wearing, but it will also keep people away who only go to Miami to “escape” mask-wearing and the pandemic.
Questions:
Do you think re-establishing a mask-mandate in Florida will help the situation in Miami?
What other measures should Florida take to control the spread and the increase in vacationers?
Would you put yourself at risk by traveling to Miami this Spring Break?

I definitely agree that people should not be traveling to Covid hotspots like Miami over spring break in hopes of "escaping" the pandemic. I think that re-establishing a mask-mandate in Florida is a good idea and should definitely be implemented, but I think that it's too late in terms of preventing major spread of the virus, so it won't do too much, relatively speaking. Even if it went into effect now, I feel like many would still travel there in the coming weeks, which is the real problem. In order to control the spread better, I think Florida should implement travel restrictions, if possible, and require a 14 day quarantine (assuming they don't already? I am unsure.) But in general, people definitely shouldn't be traveling to Miami in the coming weeks, if not for their own health, then for the safety of others in their hometown that could possibly become infected once they return.
ReplyDeleteI don't think implementing a mask mandate will help in the immediate future but definitely in the coming weeks and months. However, I also agree with Lauren that the more immediate issue is that people will keep travelling to Miami in the coming weeks. Some type of mandatory quarantine should be implemented, maybe even with some type of required proof of a negative coronavirus test. I would not travel to Miami in the next weeks, as it s very dangerous for my own health, as well as that of everyone I come into contact with. The obvious solution to this issue in Miami would be to stop travel there for the next month or two, even though that is very unlikely to happen.
ReplyDeleteI think that instituting a mask mandate would be helpful but considering the circumstances it seems that if might not be very effective. With lots of college kids coming for spring break many are likely to not follow rules and easily spread Covid. I agree with Lauren that it may be too late for the mask mandate to really prevent the spread. The best possible solution could just be another large quarantine. One of the best measure would be a travel ban to stop the flow of incoming people this could allow the likely surge to be lower. I would not go anywhere near Miami for my own health and those around me. The situation will likely get worse before it gets better so it is safe to stay away and quarantine.
ReplyDeleteI suppose that a mask mandate would contribute to fewer infections in Miami, and Florida as a whole. Still, I do feel like now that some governors have already lifted the mandate, it would make little political sense for them to reinstate it (unless there is another extreme surge in cases). These governors have already deeply alienated Democrats who want more restrictions; they are probably not going to bring back the mandate and risk alienating their Republican base as well. Still, I think that the current crowds are a temporary phenomenon due to Spring Break, which will go away in a couple of weeks. It is probably too late to implement any new major public safety measures in time for this surge. Despite COVID, I think I would still consider traveling to Miami for break IF there weren't such big crowds. With this many travelers already there, it may be best for people to pick another vacation spot this year that is less risky.
ReplyDeleteI think that it's too late to re-establish a mask-mandate in Florida; if the number of people that are infected are too high, it might not be helpful. Citizens would most likely also be against the re-implementation of mandate and protest it. The only way I can really see to stop the surge of tourists in Florida is re-implementing the ban on people coming into the state, however, this would cause other issues to arise. Although, places like Hawaii do allow people to come into the state if they have proof of a negative COVID test or quarantining for 14 days. I personally don't want to risk going to Miami knowing how many people there are and how high their numbers are.
ReplyDeleteI think a mask mandate would help, but people are unlikely to actually follow the rule. I've seen videos of reporters interviewing people in Miami, and many seem to think that COVID is a not problem or that they cannot get sick, ignoring the fact that they are putting others at risk. However, a mask mandate is still a good idea because then at least there would be consequences and police officers could fine anyone not wearing one. I agree with Tamilyn's idea of banning people from entering the state, but there are already so many people vacationing there that it may not make a difference.
ReplyDeleteI think that re-establishing a mask-mandate in Florida could potentially help the situation in Miami. The mandate would make it mandatory for all spring breakers to wear masks, and give officials the authority to penalize those who do not follow the regulations. I think Florida should take extra precaution in setting restrictions and curfews for popular tourist spots like Miami, which could attract a large number of people, to reduce the risk of COVID spread. Despite the increasing number of people receiving the vaccine, Miami still seems like a hotspot for COVID, especially with it being one of the most popular spots to travel to this time of year, therefore I would prefer to avoid traveling to Miami during Spring Break.
ReplyDeleteI do definitely agree that Florida should reinstate their mask mandate, that's far from the solution to the immense problem that they've created. By removing the last mandate, they send a message to the entire nation that not only do they not believe in COVID, but that others shouldn't either. Florida’s government put the lives of millions at risk as all Florida residents are now pummeled with tourists in their cities with little to no restriction. This kind of legal action is the last thing our nation needs considering the large number of spikes we've had even with a mask mandate.
ReplyDeleteI definitely believe that re-establishing a mask order will help improve the situation in Florida. Like you said, many tourists have been going to Florida in order to "escape" mask-wearing and COVID-19 guidelines, so by putting them in place they will have something holding them to safety measures. I believe Florida should also require COVID tests for all vacationers coming into Florida, as it reduces the likelihood of new tourist-related outbreaks. Like I mentioned, re-instating the mask order would also be a very effective way to try and combat the lack of order in Florida surrounding COVID safety. Also, no I would not travel to Florida over Spring break. The cases are soaring there, as well as there being no mask order. This makes it much more likely for me or my family to be exposed to COVID, and it is not worth the risk.
ReplyDeleteI think that re-establishing a mask mandate in Florida is the minimum for helping the situation in Miami. Even when people wear masks, they’ll probably end up taking them off to eat or speak. Scientific reports show that masks help, but unless people take other precautions like going with social distancing restrictions, only meeting with a specific cohort, taking sanitization measures seriously, and more, I don’t see there being a significant improvement in Florida. I believe that besides measures loosening up and COVID fatigue, many choose to travel to places like Florida because they hear about vaccine distribution. In Florida, I think there has to be more selective media coverage (we’ve all been numbed to the numbers) and more extensive measures taken, maybe by fining people.
ReplyDelete