Starting in 2017, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began its massive crackdown against Muslims in the northwest Xinjiang region violating every provision in the United Nations' Genocide Convention. It is estimated that up to 2 million Muslim minorities have been placed in detention centers across the region where former detainees allege they were subject to indoctrination, sexual abuse, and forcibly sterilized all under the guise of "counter-terrorism".
The Muslim Uighur population in Xinjiang speaks their own language and sees themselves culturally and ethnically closer to Central Asian nations, but the mass migration of Han Chinese (China's ethnic majority) into the region has threatened their culture and livelihoods. In 2009 a series of riots in Xinjiang's Capitol broke out as Uighur protesters expressed their desire to create an independent state resulting in 200 deaths. In Beijing's eyes, all Uighurs were labeled as potential terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, as well as blaming Uighurs for attacks over the next years. The CCP has labeled them as "weeds" and "tumors." One government directive allegedly called on local authorities to "break their lineage, break their roots, break their connections and break their origins."
The CCP continues to deny the truth behind the camps labeling them as “vocational education and training programs”. It is reported that in these camps they would separate children from their families and indoctrinate the Uighurs by making them praise the CCP, learn Mandarin and Han Chinese culture, all while forcing them to denounce Islam and Uighur culture, with punishments including starvation and death. Officials have since destroyed thousands of mosques and destroyed traces of their culture under fabricated lies and false reasonings. In December 2020, research done by BBC revealed up to 500,000 "workers" being forced to pick cotton with new factories being built within the grounds of the "re-education" camps.
The US, as well as other western nations, came out to denounce the CCP for their genocide of the Uighurs, but as many know this means absolutely nothing to a Communist Dictatorship that can control the media and all information. The US ban on cotton imports from China has not been enough to fully pressure China and the US and other free nations need to take a firm stand against what could very possibly be the Holocaust v2. The west must impose huge sanctions against all imports from China unless they can prove that it was not tied to forced labor camps, as well as boycott the 2022 Olympics in Beijing. The "Free World" must not let the Xi regime get away with the genocide of more than 12 million people or we would see the destruction of liberty and justice worldwide.
1.) Do you believe that the camps are justified?
2.)What should the US do to pressure China into not committing genocide?
3.)Do you think that democracies should compete in the 2022 winter Olympics if China still refuses to stop?
Sources:
U.S. sanctions for the Uyghur genocide are hurting China. But they aren’t enough.
To start, I find it interesting that big mainstream media platforms have only been talking about this in recent days, when it's been going on for years well within our knowledge. PBS released a big documentary about it almost a year ago. Anyway, the camps aren't justified. I don't think I need to state the obvious as to why, human rights, etc. I think it's important that we think about why the CCP thinks these camps are justified. However hard and uncomfortable it might be, we should look through the eyes of the CCP to better understand why they are doing this. And with that expanded knowledge come up with an appropriate plan of action to help the Uighurs and deal with China. The U.S. has multiple ways to pressure China. The first thing that would come to most people’s minds are economic ones like sanctions. However, while an economic approach is sound, I would say it's limited in its capabilities because our economies are so closely connected at the moment. The biggest and easiest thing right now would be a public condemnation from President Biden. I'd also add though, that we'd probably expect economic and possibly militaristic (as in flying more bombers next to Taiwan or something, not actual fighting) backlash from China. I'm not sure how much of a middle finger boycotting the Olympics is. I know it happened a little in the Cold War, but I don't think it should be the topic of discussion. But sure boycott the Winter Olympics everyone only cares about the summer Olympics anyway. Also, I'll add that I've already seen people on the internet say this, and I except the CCP might too. Some people like pointing out how the U.S. did nothing different to the Native Americans during the Federal Government's various assimilation practices. Which granted is true, only lacking the scale and the "modern touch." However that was a while ago, and while time does not make it okay, it doesn't give China the right to do the same and not be called out on it. That being said, if we gave the groups we have tried assimilating some sort of compensation it might help make our case against China look a little less hypocritical so some eyes.
ReplyDeleteI agree, the media coverage of this is minimal in comparison to how big of a problem this is, however I believe that a big part of the problem is China's money. As the fastest growing economy, China has a ton of power and control over many western companies that want to tap into the large sums from china. As for why the CCP want to exterminate Muslims, I believe its mostly due to islamophobia, believing that all of them are terrorists, on top of the fact that culturally Asian countries are racist towards people who aren't like them. The US and China are so economically intertwined that any condemnation of China from Biden would start a trade war between the countries where both parties lose massively, with China losing slightly more and collapsing. The whatabout-ism like you described is very dangerous, as people seem to believe that the US is worse/similar to China which justifies their actions. The whole point of the past is to learn from it and preventing it from happening in the future, when many people are actually using it as an excuse.
Delete1. Despite the attacks that some Uighurs may have done, this response is grossly out of proportion. In fact, I would compare the treatment to Jews in the Third Reich, where the potential/perceieved actions of a few leads to the planned extermination of the entire group. All in all, this is completely unjustified.
ReplyDelete2. Pressure could be applied in harsher ways. The greater limiting of American Companies opperating in China. Greater pushes for international condemnation. Even potential threats or shows of military force might be on the table.
3. Due to the evil acts of the CCP, not just in terms of the Uighur Genocide, I do believe that a general Boycott of the 2022 Olympics could be a way to show the CCP that this is unacceptable.
I completely agree with the comparison to the upbringings of the Holocaust, the amount of blame on Muslims for Chinas problems has created a genocide. The US needs to stop themselves and western companies from crossing their countries interests and morals for greed. China offers cheap labor, which is a big issue because the capitalist markets will turn a blind eye to slavery and child labor in order to make that extra dollar.
DeleteThe camps are definitely not justified. It is horrific to think that anyone with the information that we have would think so. I believe that they are only an excuse for a racial, religious, and ethnic cleansing so to speak. It is completely unbelievable that this does not get as much attention as it should. We should not turn a blind eye to those who are suffering at the hands of society. I think that the United Nations should threaten intervention. From what I understand, it is completely within their power to stop inhumane activities of countries especially when genocide is the case. I think that threats might not be enough and that there should be some physical threats to encourage the Chinese government to stop or else. I think that it is fine to compete in the olympics even if China isn't stopped because it is a world competition. I think it would be more apt to exclude China instead.
ReplyDeleteConcentration camps are never justified. There is always a peaceful way to resolve conflict and this is just not humane in any sense. The U.S. and other countries should attempt to sever some ties(if not all) with China, causing their economy to tank. While they cannot convince China using moral and ethics, they can certainly take advantage of the control they do have in China. I definitely think that a boycott of the 2022 games would help prove their point. China will suffer and hopefully realize that this is unacceptable.
ReplyDeleteAs the others said, I do not think that these concentration camps are justified in any way. I think that what is going on in these camps should be more publicized so that more people are aware of this issue and more people can try to help. In terms of the US, I think that we should make it clear to China and the rest of the world that we do not support what they are doing and we will not support them economically. This will be quite difficult because we do rely so heavily on China for imported goods, but we must put human lives over the economy. I also do not think that we should attend the 2022 Olympic games if they are held in China.
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty obvious that these concentration camps are not justifiable at all. Someone needs to step in because if not it is going to be similar to Jewish concentration camps. Other countries have to notice this and actually take action if something is going to be done about these camps in China. I believe that some sort of direct action should be taken, and I feel attempting to get people to stop interacting with China is not going to work. Somethings has to be done in China.
ReplyDelete