The World Trade Organization (WTO) regulates global trade agreements. Recently, the organization's current leader Roberto Azevedo announced he would step down in August. Two finalists were chosen to lead the organization, and they are both female! Okonjo-Iweala is one of these finalists, a chair of the Vaccine Alliance in Gavi, finance minister of Nigeria, and graduate from Harvard with a PhD from MIT. If she is appointed director-general she will be the first African person to lead WTO. Yoo Myung-Hee is the other finalist, South Korea's minister for trade with a master's degree from Seoul's National University as well as a doctorate from Vanderbilt University. She also was briefly working at the Korean Embassy in Beijing, China. I'm really glad to be seeing such independent and powerful women becoming one of the world's strongest leaders. Sexism still exists and women are constantly prevented from opportunities worldwide. Having a women as the director-general for WTO is really inspiring for all females. I believe girls should see this and feel empowered to do anything they wish as Okinjo-Iweala and Yoo Myung-Hee set perfect examples for a woman's potential. I hope to see more women taking higher positions around the world, especially women of color!
1. How do you feel about a woman of color leading the WTO? How will this impact the world?
2. Many people believe these two finalists were chosen just because they're women of color. What do you think about this and the concept of "token minority"?
Source: https://abcnews.go.com/Business/history-making-world-trade-organization-led-woman/story?id=73520274&cid=clicksource_4380645_10_heads_posts_headlines_hed

With the WTO being lead by a woman for the first time in history, I don't believe there should be that much of an impact. At the end of the day, the world shouldn't view the leader based on gender; instead, it should just be seen as a new person is leading.
ReplyDeleteHowever, with the speculation that the finalists were just chosen because they're women of color, it's interesting to see the way the media views representation of minorities, both by the media and those who selected the finalists.
It's definitely interesting to see everyone's different perspectives on this topic! It does make me think about what went on in those whos elected the finalist's minds as well. I disagree with what you stated about this event's lack of impact on the world. Many women feel as if they are not able to reach certain jobs or roles because of their sex and/or race. I believe this to be incredibly inspiring as well as a sign that the world is changing--slowly--but surely! I do hope that soon gender will be completely out of the picture when it comes to the selection of jobs/roles/power, but sadly that hasn't been the case so far; and women need to be recognized when empowered because of this.
Delete2. Believing that these two finalists were chosen just because they're POC is very harmful because it discredits their qualifications and claims they have an advantage because they are POC, which is ridiculously far from the truth. Systemic racism is a huge problem in America, and affirmative action means actively fighting against it by working to undo some of its damage. POC have been oppressed and denied opportunities for centuries, so I think that even if they were chosen because they were POC, that would be completely valid. It's similar to how when Joe Biden was choosing a VP, he only looked for women, because they had been excluded from that office for far too long, just as they've been excluded from the WTO. People who oppose affirmative action by claiming that it is unjust don't understand that America is already an unjust place for POC. It's time for more companies and organizations like the WTO to embrace affirmative action in order to finally include POC in all areas of society and defy systemic racism.
ReplyDeleteI like how you related this topic to the election which is super relevant right now! I also like your different perspectives and understandings when it came to my second question. This quote by you: "People who oppose affirmative action by claiming that it is unjust don't understand that America is already an unjust place for POC." absolutely gold. Systematic racism/sexism is huge which is why these finalists are such a big deal!
DeleteI think that it is great that a woman will lead the WTO. I think that it being a woman of color would be interesting to see how her perspective influences her decisions. I can't really say how this will impact the world because I don't know much about the world trade. I don't know about the idea that token minorities would hold such a prominent position. I think that their merits are what qualified them for the position, and I also think that being a minority would give perspective that could be valuable.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is very important that a woman of color was selected to lead the WTO. There is little representation from WOC in high power positions and it is definitely a good thing that there will be a perspective from her societal standing. I think people jumped to that conclusion because it is rare to have women of color chosen to in high power positions, however it should not discredit them being able to reach that status because it is rare.
ReplyDeleteIt’s incredible that a woman of color will be leading the WTO. Many higher level positions in society are associated with white men. You can’t turn a blind eye to gender and racial inequalities in our world. Having a female BIPOC in a higher level position matters. The impact of seeing a powerful woman of color lead with intelligence and confidence empowers young women and girls to do the same. Their experiences of being a minority will reduce discrimination and create fairer, more equal trade policies that will better the world’s economies. It’s ridiculous for people to assume that these two finalists were chosen just because they’re women of color. That’s like saying, “Of course you did well on your test. You’re Asian.” This mindset discredits the hard work these two women did to be educated and respected. The excuse of “token minorities” is just another example of people’s unconscious biases and white fragility.
ReplyDeleteI think its great that a WOC will be leading the WTO, especially since women are often discriminated against in the workplace and aren't normally thought of in high positions. They could also bring forward other opinions that previous leaders might not have considered because of their different backgrounds. I don't know the details of their nominations and public appearances but I believe that if they are finalists then they must have the qualifications for becoming the leader of WTO, even if people might believe they were chosen just because they were WOC. I believe that most people will forget about this issue after a leader is chosen and that the most important quality of the leader should be their ability to lead and make good decisions. I also have a feeling that if they do make decisions the general public do not agree with, their gender and race will be brought up in discussions, based off personal experience.
ReplyDeleteThis post is closed; no more comments will be graded.
ReplyDelete