While Trump was out playing golf, Biden was announced as the winner of the 2020 presidential election. However, instead of the traditional congratulations to the winner or concession speech, he claimed that voter fraud must be taking place and that the election was "far from over". This led to many, including his own aides, to fear that he will not concede peacefully, and his associates have even come out to say that Trump is unlikely to formally concede under any circumstances. Trump's accusation of fraud votes has led him to question the integrity of election results and use legal action to block the completion of the counting of votes. He had spent months trying to discredit mail-in voting and has used the counts in Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Georgia as false evidence to back up his claim. He has sued the states of Pennsylvania, Nevada, Georgia, and Michigan and has requested a recount in Wisconsin and Georgia as well. Public officials have said that there is no evidence of fraud that would affect the votes, and that they were in the middle of investigating any claims.
On Saturday, he clearly expressed his opinion in his tweet, "I WON THIS ELECTION, BY A LOT!" after all the major news organizations announced Biden as the winning candidate. Some of his aides have announced that they were hoping to convince him to a public transition as peacefully as possible by Inauguration Day (January 20), but others warn that the turnover will not be the smooth transition it has been in the past.
I believe that Trump is not acting as professionally as he should be as the now former president of the United States. There has been no evidence to suggest that any fraud was present, but he still insists on recounting and accusing states that had had narrow margins in their counts. I don't think this will reflect nicely on America as a nation, and I hope that all accusations will be resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.
Do you think Trump's claims of voter fraud are valid?
What do you think will happen during the transition between president to president?

I don't think Trump's claims of voter fraud are valid, though I guess there's still technically a possibility that they are. You make a good point that there's no evidence of voter fraud so there's really no reason to believe that any exists. To me, it just seems like he's being a sore loser and isn't willing to accept the fact that he lost re-election.
ReplyDeleteI honestly doubt that the transition between president to president will go on peacefully or "normally" in any sense. Based off of Trump's reaction to losing, I'd guess that, when the time comes, he won't be willing to step down and move on, but would rather pull something in a sort of last-ditch effort to remain in office. Clearly, he's not going to be any kind of professional in conceding his loss to Biden, if he does decide to concede. I also agree with your point that this won't reflect nicely on the country as a whole, especially if Trump makes a scene instead of just stepping down as president.
Hi Colin,
DeleteI agree that Trump's claims of voter fraud aren't valid, especially with all the new information we are receiving from government sources that state otherwise. Unfortunately, if Trump claims that such fraud exists, I'm afraid his followers will believe him and continue to claim the election was rigged. I also think that the transition will not be "normal" since none of his actions so far have really been "normal" either. I really do hope that he will reflect on his actions so far and stop denying the results and going against presidential tradition, but I have doubts.
I agree with Colin that I do not believe his claims of voter fraud are valid but there is honestly no way of really knowing. Though there is not evidence of voter fraud, that does not mean it does not exist(in any shape or form for either side). However, it is more likely that Trump is just using it as an excuse to not leave office. I do not think that the transition period will be easy. Trump will struggle with the fact that he actually has to leave office and will try all types of legal procedures to somehow reverse the results of the election.
ReplyDeleteHey Diya,
DeleteI definitely do think that your opinion on not knowing if the claims of voter fraud are real or not are reasonable, since there is a very real chance that a few votes are fraudulent. I don't think there could ever be a 100% honest election, even if there is no evidence to suggest that it was rigged. I also agree that Trump is trying to stay in office for as long as he can, and that he will drag out the transition period since he can't be held responsible for anything while he in office. There are a lot of consequences that await him once he leaves office, since he was previously protected from being convicted of any crimes as the president. He probably will try to reverse the elections results until he has to leave, but I doubt any efforts will make a difference.
I would agree that Trump's claims of voter fraud aren't valid. There isn't really any hard evidence that proves his claims or could help in his lawsuit. It seems just as though Trump is trying to do anything to stay in office and in power. He's unwilling to accept his loss, and wants to disprove a system that has effectively functioned in the past American elections for hundreds of years. I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen in this transition period from president to president. Trump's initial reactions to the results show that he won't go down easily, and will possibly not concede. I think he's going to do anything he can to reverse this election and stay in power. He might eventually end up stepping down, but will create much chaos and unnecessary conflict during the time.
ReplyDeleteReport after report has shown that there is no voter fraud, so no I don't think there is any. NYT reached out to an official from every state and they have all confirmed that there is no voting fraud either.
ReplyDeleteEven though Trump is portraying this disposition, I don't think he believes it himself. He's just trying to convince his base and himself of his power, and it's not working. His most loyal Republican followers in power only half heartedly agree with him, as none of them are taking action on their ostensible doubt. Because of this, I think there will be a peaceful transition of power. One man is no army, no matter his powerful position. The power of the presidency comes from people's willingness to follow their commands, and I simply think no government official will follow orders that disrupt democracy.
I won't believe there's voter fraud or anything along that line unless there's clear, reliable evidence for that. From what I've seen, there's been clear, reliable evidence against voter fraud as all the polls have been clean. This is honestly just Trump being a sore loser and not giving up his presidency because he wants it so much. The transition will be like no other transition before as the president is set on not giving up even when his advisors are warning him. He's being pretty stubborn and not budging at all. This make take a while to settle down but eventually he will be forced out somehow. It won't be pretty to see but at least there'll be a transfer of power.
ReplyDeleteLike others have said, there so far seems to be no real evidence of voter fraud in the 2020 election. Given the perspective that mainstream news outlets and sources around the world now have on the election (that Biden clearly won), I think it is unlikely that Trump can manage to hold onto power past January 20th.
ReplyDeleteThere are some rumors (not from the President himself, but from other sources close to him) that Trump is considering a run for President in 2024. If that were the case, then the best thing he could do politically right now would be to peacefully concede and step down without creating a scene. If he does decide to engage in a large-scale legal battle against Biden, the risks for him are quite high, since if he loses (which he most likely will), his reputation will take a hit even among his supporters, dooming his chances for future reelection.
I agree with Diya that there is really no way of knowing exactly if there was voting fraud, but I do believe in innocent until proven guilty, and so far there has been no concrete evidence that fraud was present. I think at this point Trump is just in denial of the result, which shouldn't be how the most powerful man in the world act at all. I think congratulating the winner and moving on is an honorable legacy that a president can leave behind and a peaceful transition of power has almost become a tradition, and for Trump to refuse to concede I think it displays very bad sportsmanship and shows Trump as unprofessional. I hope before Inauguration Day Trump can be humble and accept his defeat; with the amount of influence he has over the 71 million Americans that voted for him, Trump can easily turn this supposedly peaceful transition of power, violent(and I hope that doesn't happen).
ReplyDeleteCertainly there could be a few instances of voter fraud, as there was a lot of controversy surrounding this election and previous elections as well. There is no clear way of knowing whether or not his claims are valid, like Zeke and Diya mention, however I think the way Trump is handling the situation is completely unprofessional and quite honestly embarrassing for the United States. He is focusing on the fact that he lost this election, which of course will hurt, but he is making lots of excuses for why he should have won or why he lost by blaming others, rather than accepting the situation and moving on for the better of the US. It is essential for any president to meet with his/her successor to provide a smooth and peaceful transition. Trump is only exemplifing bad sportsmanship and envoking fear in all citizens that the transition from Trump to Biden will be full of miscommunications, tension, and ultimentaly Biden may not even be prepared enough to lead the country for the next 4 years.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Colin that claims of major election fraud are not valid. SO far there seems to be no real evidence for any widespread fraud. For Trump they even have a voter fraud hotline which people could call if they believe there is any fraud. Some sources have said that both Jared Kushner and Ivanka have tried to reason with Donald Trump to concede. Many of the court cases that the Trump administration have claimed are already being out by courts. I believe that Trump is just in denial and wants to appeal to his supporters that the election was stolen from him. Having a peaceful transition of power is one of the pillars of democracy and by Trump refusing to concede history will judge him accordingly. Even now the President is pushing conspiracy theories that millions of votes have been stolen from him but no real allegations have come to light. Luckily, by January 20th President Trump's term will end and a new President will be sworn in.
ReplyDeleteI would say that his claims of voter fraud are not valid. In times past, we have seen recounts only change 100 votes at most and this isn't going to give trump every state needed to take the electoral college. There simply isn't a chance for this to even happen so if he wanted to count he definitely could. Trump is a different type of president in a different time of the country which we have never seen before. There probably isn't going to be a peaceful transition of power as many in the country don't believe they are American, but rather democrats and republicans. Trump sees it that way, he can't look at Biden's supporters and only flaunts his accomplishments to people that already wanted to vote for him. Trump should be the one to go out honorably but there probably won't be a chance that he does that. Ultimately, it depends on the divide in America as well. No, being a Republican doesn't make you racist, these are political parties with beliefs. However, viewing eachother based on this conformity is the reason there won't be a peaceful transition, as too much of the country is divided from the rest.
ReplyDeleteAs many people above have already pointed out, there's no evidence of voter fraud, so I don't believe that Trump's claims are valid. Since concession speeches are such an important part of the transition between presidents, I think it would be very interesting if Trump continues to refuse to concede. To me, it seems like he's selfishly ignoring the will of the American people. It also seems like he's prioritizing himself over the wellbeing of the democracy and the unity of this country when it's clear that he lost the election. If he refuses to concede, I think the transition between presidents will be a lot less smooth, and there will likely be increased tensions or aggression between Trump supporters and Biden supporters.
ReplyDeleteI don’t think that Donald Trump’s claims of voter fraud are valid, and as other people mentioned I think it’s more that he’s trying to avoid or ignore what the results are. At the very beginning of the election, the results were swaying in Donald Trumps’ direction, and he certainly didn’t say anything about voter fraud. Then when all the ballots were slowly counted, Trump began to say that he would be taking some cases to court and spreading false information about voter fraud. His decision to relay this false information is something that no president should be saying. During the debates he refused to answer the question about conceding, just saying that he would win the election, so I’m not sure what will happen during the transition between Trump to Biden. I highly doubt it will be a peaceful transition.
ReplyDeleteI dont think trumps claim for voter fraud is valid as he is just in denial that he was not reelected as president. During the election especially early on trump was winning. However as the election went on Biden started to gain more votes than Trump in swing states that typically define who the president will be. think his denial to admitting he lost only makes him look even worse than what people see him as today. Now for what will happen during the transition is undeterminable as anything can happen, but im sure everyone hopes for a peaceful transition.
ReplyDeleteThis post is closed; no more comments will be graded.
ReplyDelete